quilts from the American Folk Art Museum

Here are some of my favourite quilts from the archive of the American Folk Art museum. Please understand that these are photos of photos of quilts . . . which I find a little dissatisfying, but I wanted to show you anyway because the patterns are so stonking.
I was lucky enough to see some of the quilts for real whilst I was in New York this year and they took my breath away. There's something about the colours and the textures and the size of them - as I was walking around it felt like there were some gnomes doing a conga around my intestines.
I splashed most of my holiday cash on buying this book, which is where all these pictures have come from. I've put my favourite quilt first - I love that the pattern is immediately very simple but actually intricately worked with beautiful leaf and floral shapes. If you've got a favourite do let me know.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Photobucket

Photobucket
. . . I wonder whether I know any sausage clever enough to make me a beautiful orange quilt with a star in the middle . . .

2 comments:

  1. Lots of acts of kindness is my top one. They are all beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that one is splendid, I agree.

    ReplyDelete

Hello